Healthy Birth Day, Inc. (HBD) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to the prevention of stillbirth and infant death through education and advocacy. We are best known for the Count the Kicks public health awareness campaign, which educates and empowers moms to track their baby’s movements in the third trimester.
Reporting to the HBD Executive Director, the Communications Specialist will increase HBD’s communication efforts on all platforms. The HBD Communications Specialist’s responsibilities fit into three categories: programming, fundraising and operations.
- Create effective communications strategy and plan
- Manage HBD and Count the Kicks websites, e-newsletters, journeys, app messaging, educational material messaging and social media
- Foster relationships with local, national and international journalists, pitch news stories and manage press events
- Foster and implement Count the Kicks brand standards on all communication platforms and presentations
- Assist all HBD employees with communication efforts related to programming, fundraising and state expansion
- Effectively tell the story of HBD and Count the Kicks with tools such as video, blogs, and podcasts
- Create and maintain FAQs, talking points and consistent messaging and make them available to staff, Board and volunteers
- As part of HBD’s overall fundraising strategy and plan, effectively communicate HBD donor and sponsorship opportunities
- Act as support staff to HBD Board of Directors, serving as staff liaison to relevant committees
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years related required.
- Marketing, journalism, PR and/or communications experience preferred.
- Good PC skills; including knowledge and mastery of Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and WordPress.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, problem solving, listening and time management skills.
- Adaptability and able to work in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Self-starter with demonstrated initiative.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
- Valid driver’s license
- Reside in Greater Des Moines, Iowa
- To learn more about us, please visit countthekicks.org.
- This is a part-time position, working approximately 20 hours per week.
- Submit resume, cover letter and this Employment Application to email@example.com or via mail to Healthy Birth Day, Inc., 501 SW 7th Street, Suite G, Des Moines, Iowa 50309.
- HBD employment decisions are not based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, disability, age, or genetic information (including family medical history).